Contacts / Director of Undergraduate Studies
Director of Undergraduate Studies
The Director of Undergraduate Studies serves as a general adviser to the majors in the Department and as a liaison to the residential colleges. (Individual academic advising is performed by students' independent work advisers.)
Besides being a source of counsel, see the Director of Undergraduate Studies for:
- transfers in and out of the Department
- cognate approvals
- study abroad program approvals for History majors
HOS Undergraduate Adviser
The HOS Undergraduate Adviser is the general adviser to students concentrating in History of Science, Technology, and Medicine.
In order for an outside course to be approved, it needs to be equivalent in quality and intensity to what we offer at Princeton. This means the instructor(s) should at least have a Ph.D. All reading and written assignments, as well as the mode of evaluation, should be similar to a Princeton HIS course. They cannot be based alone, or even primarily, on a textbook and lectures. In order to determine that, Professor Canaday needs a complete syllabus of the course (an older version of the same course is acceptable).
Undergraduate Program Administrator
The Undergraduate Program Administrator works closely with the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
See Judie Miller for:
- General inquiries
- Policies and procedures
- Course scheduling
- Study Abroad
- All aspects of studying and majoring in History, including:
- Advising commitments
- JP- and Thesis-related questions
- Senior Departmental Examination
She is available in the Director of Undergraduate Studies's absence to answer any questions.
Undergraduate Program Assistant
As the Undergraduate Program Assistant, Kelly Lake assists the Undergraduate Program Administrator in running the Undergraduate Program.
See Kelly Lake for assistance with:
- Entering data in CIS For new and existing courses
- All course preparation inquiries, including precepts, waitlists, room assignments, and cross listing requests
- Preparing and distributing course promotional material
- Student research funding questions in SAFE
- Room requests
- History Writing Group
- Undergraduate Department Dinners and other events
- Princeton Historical Review
- Course promotion material