When you choose to study history at Princeton, you choose an undergraduate experience that prepares you to be a thoughtful scholar. As a large, flexible department, we offer you the opportunity to truly explore your interests. As to where you take it, that part is up to you. The paths our alumni take are many, but all have benefitted from their time spent with the Department.
Why History? Alumni Share Their Stories
Recent History grads discuss their journeys at Princeton and beyond.
Life As a History Major
Concentrators must take at least one course in each of four areas: American, European, Non-Western, and Pre-Modern history.
In stages, concentrators advance toward the writing of the 75-page senior thesis based on original historical research. The History Department offers financial support, on a competitive basis, to seniors who travel to conduct archival research. In past years, the Department has supported travel to Germany, England, and South Africa.
Thesis titles in recent years include:
- "Peering Through Half-Shut Blinds: The Declassified History of CIA Intervention in Iran and Guatemala in the Early Cold War"
- "Christians and Shang Dynasty Bones: How an Evangelical Movement Contributed to the Study of Ancient China"
- "Colored Television, White Press: The Rodney King Story and Modern Journalism's Treatment of Race"
- "Evolving the Internet: How Entrepreneurs and Innovators Commercialized the World Wide Web"
- "'Vainglory and Worldly Pomp': A Study of England's First Two Sumptuary Laws"
Plan your path to majoring in history. View prerequisites.
How to Sign In / Declare
Get a step-by-step overview of how to sign in and declare your concentration.
Explore History 400 Seminars
Your History 400 Junior Seminar will mark your first step towards engaging with the kind of historical research you will conduct for your senior thesis.
Join Our Mailing List
Want to find out about upcoming History courses? Thinking of majoring in History or History of Science but you're only a freshman or sophomore? Sign up for our mailing list here.