Cocktails & Conversations - "The Plot Against America"
We invite you to join us for a fun (and academic) discussion on HBO's "The Plot Against America." Our discussion will feature the following panelists:
- Kevin Kruse, Professor of History
- Federico Marcon, Associate Professor of East Asian Studies and History
- Philip Nord, Rosengarten Professor of Modern and Contemporary History
- Daniel T. Rodgers, Henry Charles Lea Professor of History, Emeritus
- Esther Schor, Leonard L. Milberg ’53 Professor of American Jewish Studies and Professor of English
- Sean Wilentz, George Henry Davis 1886 Professor of American History; Professor of History
- Julian Zelizer, Malcolm Stevenson Forbes, Class of 1941 Professor of History and Public Affairs, Woodrow Wilson School
- Moderated by: Sheldon Garon, Nissan Professor in Japanese Studies; Professor of History and East Asian Studies
- Host: Jennifer Loessy, Manager, Center for Collaborative History
Registration is required in order to participate. To register, visit: https://princeton.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYqdOiqqD8vHdByIXtCIuGwifgWLv0BVNs-
The Plot Against America is an American alternate history drama television miniseries created and written by David Simon and Ed Burns, based on the 2004 novel of the same name by Philip Roth. The show centers around a working-class Jewish family in New Jersey watches the political rise of aviator-hero and xenophobic populist Charles Lindbergh, as he becomes president and turns the nation toward fascism.
Cocktails & Mocktails
If you want to join in on the cocktails (as well as the conversation), here are some recipes for popular 1940's cocktails and some yummy mocktail recipes too.
Lucius Beebe's Stork Club Bar Book [Rinehart & Company: New York, 1946] reads like a who's who with drinks. This New York City venue was a favorite destination for movie stars, government officials, and business moguls from 1929-1965. The headnotes in Mr. Beebe's book are just as intriguing as the drinks themselves. Salud! Serving classic cocktails with original recipes.